Tiny Salutations

Tiny Salutations

About

Friday, August 15, 2014

Rain safari, health update, and sentiments

Rain Safari

Wednesday was the first day in quite a while that it was cloudy and rainy, instead of sunny and hot.  This was a welcome change.  Normally, L would have a fever, so staying inside the house in that weather would make perfect sense.  L has been well for so long now though (hallelujah!).... 

Being out in the rain has always been one of my favorite things.  As soon as I could drive, I used to drive to the beach and sit in my car in the rain and just watch and listen to the rain or read.  I prefer hiking in light rain too.  There is something magical about the rain to me.  It is renewing and expansive.  My favorite part is that I have the world to myself.  Everyone else stays inside.  The world is a little different, a little more real and a little more surreal at the same time, in the rain.  And I am the only one experiencing it. 

So L and I went on a "rain safari".  We went exploring, just in our yard, in the rain.  We found lots of beautiful things that wouldn't have seen in the sun.  Here are some pictures...







This last picture is L reading me the letters on the steps into our tiny "house".
(As I type this, he is practically dog piling me to be able to point out the Y in this picture to me.)

Health update
Yesterday was a LONG day of doctor's appointments.  I had an appointment in Bellingham at 8:30 am.  That is early for us to be doing something substantial.  We are always awake that early, but to actually get ready for the day and out of the house... well that stinks.  Then L had an appointment in Seattle at Children's later.  Poor L was in the car seat just about all day.
My kidneys are still showing abnormalities so I am going to a nephrologist.  This may be the beginning of the long journey of lupus nephritis.  So I am keeping mental notes on everyone's habits so that I can be an informed shopper when looking for a kidney in the future.  Just kidding.  Kind of.  (Brother, you are at the top of my list, just so you know).  No, really though, it is not bad yet.  Far from needing a kidney.  This first visit with the nephrologist is more to establish a relationship, since with my health conditions, this is expected to get worse eventually, so if we can be proactive and stay on top of it, maybe all will be well (and you may be off the hook Brother). 
Also I continue to lose weight.  There are mixed feelings there.  I put on more weight than I was comfortable with during pregnancy.  I have been sensitive about being overweight previously due to being debased in the past (while already being underweight).  So I am proud to say I am almost back to pre-pregnancy weight.  An interesting aside is that I look different despite being the same weight, because my body insisted I have birthing hips regardless of the fact I did not use them for birth.  Hmm.  Anyway, I feel happy about being a normal weight, but the down side is that it is due to the fact that I am sick.  My doctors have brought this up recently and told me to stop losing weight.  Well I wasn't particularly trying anyway, but okay.  I will say that if I have to pick something I like about being sick, it would be losing weight. 
L's appointment was to meet the surgeon for his ear tubes.  His surgery is for this Wednesday!  I hope this will fix a lot of issues with development.  Particularly, clear speech and imbalance.  I am not too worried, since it is a simple surgery, but every mother is a little worried anytime their little one is going under anesthesia.  I hope he handles the anesthesia as well as the last surgery. 
Interestingly, I also found out that L's PDA is likely still open.  A PDA is, very simply put, a hole in the heart that is supposed to close right before birth.  That is, if you are born on time.  So he was born with one open and seems to be functioning well with it.  If he continues to have breathing problems or they get worse, we may have to look at closing it.  Dang, I thought we had escaped the idea of heart surgery!  It seems like he is doing well with it and we won't have to worry about it, but these types of things are what plagues the worries of micro-preemie mommies when you are supposed to be relaxing.
Sentiments
Just about every day I see L do something that makes me stop and say "we are doing something right".  Whether it be him picking up his breakfast that he scattered all over the floor, or him reading me letters, or "reading" me a book he memorized, or saying three words in a row clearly.  But I can't quite take the credit for his growth.  When I do things right, I know that it is not something that I came up with, but something that L taught me.  I think that L has taught me more in these short years than I could have ever learned myself in a lifetime.  I believe the smallest things can have the biggest impact.  Obviously, I am a lover of all things small (except ear wigs- blech).