Tiny Salutations

Tiny Salutations

About

Saturday, September 20, 2014

House progress and life changes!

It has been a long time since my last post.  That is because so much has happened!  I kept feeling like I was too "in the middle of things" to write about it, but here is an update of what is going on in our micro world.
My husband was laid off from his job this week.  Normally this would send me into panic, because it reminds me I don't have as much control over the future as I think.  Strangely, it made me super excited.  I feel like we are opening a new chapter of our lives, and we have endless opportunities to build something extraordinary for ourselves.  I guess the optimism has returned!  Odd that it would be what is generally a family crisis- having no income- that resurrected my optimism.  Wonderful things can be found in the strangest of places. 
This bit of news also brought about something else.  We have time and strong motivation to get the tiny house done.  We have been doing demolition to the interior of the trailer.  It is tough working on the house with the two of us and a toddler, but we have been trading off on construction and parenting between the two of us.  We are basically gutting the trailer and rebuilding it.  There is water damage inside, and it is old, very dirty, and not a good layout for full time living.  We have done about half of the demolition. 
Our plan has been evolving as we have thought more about what we really need in a house.  Alternative lifestyles and actual versus perceived necessities have been dominating my thoughts lately.  Once I can sort out my thoughts into something cohesive, I will make a post about this idea.  Our house will be totally off the grid.  We will have propane for the necessities- cook top stove, convection oven, and heater- and solar for the luxuries- basically our computers and lights.  We will also have manually operated items, like a laundry machine, water pump, and food processor.  We will have a composting toilet too.  So all of the trailer's current systems are coming out too- plumbing, electricity, and propane systems.  Our next steps are to finish the demolition and reseal the exterior.  Then we can start strengthening and replacing rotten parts of the frame. 
As usual, we have some health updates.  L had his ear tube surgery.  It went so well.  He went to sleep easily and woke up easily.  He woke up quickly and happily.  He immediately wanted a drink and snack and never really got cranky.  He did complain of pain the next day, but was still in a good mood.  We also removed him from speech therapy.  I won't go into detail, but there were some very inappropriate behaviors from the speech therapist occurring in the last few weeks.  L was scared to go there, so we thought it was best to discontinue.  It's a pity since previously that speech therapist had worked out very well.  Plus, his language has improved so much that I'm not sure how necessary it even is to continue speech therapy.  He will be reevaluated though. 
I have gotten my pain better under control.  Thank goodness!  The doctors are a little perplexed though.  My kidneys are not in the best condition, but they are not in a serious state yet and regardless that type of kidney disease shouldn't hurt.  So my PCP suspects it may be my liver that hurts.  Lupus may be attacking my kidneys AND my liver.  It still hurts sometimes, but not like it was, now that I have adjusted my medications.  We haven't been hiking though.  Fall is my absolute favorite time of year.  I wish it could be fall all year round.  So I am hoping to get back out there and enjoy the wonderful wide autumn world. 

Snuggles with great grandma
The cooling weather means this little man needs to bundle up!  Notice the blue lips just from being a little chilly that morning.
Ah the pumpkin hat
A visit from my best friend!  She is caught mid sentence here, but L was so happy to hang out with her.  He kept trying to imitate her laugh which was adorable.