How often do you go to the hospital for stitches? Once, twice, five times maybe, in your whole life. This week we went twice to get stitches. First, I cut my hand on a piece of corrugated metal for the roof. What is a construction project without at least one emergency doctor visit? A resident did my stitches, and no, they don't look pretty. Then, only two days later, we rushed our son to the emergency room to sew up his leg. He had fallen on top of the dog's water dish, and it shattered beneath him. He had several small cuts on his legs and feet and one bad gash on his leg. He already has lots of scars from the NICU, so I guess it will just be one more in the collection. Putting stitches in a completely conscious two year old is something I wish upon no one. My goodness was he red and screaming.
We have been working on the house quite a bit, but you wouldn't really know it by looking. We have kind of been backtracking and trying to fix what the weather has done during building. There is a reason people don't build in the winter in Western Washington. It rains. And rains. And rains. All those places that shouldn't get wet do. And a lot.
Since our roofing was salvaged, there were some not-so-perfect spots where screws had not been carefully removed and water got into the house. And after water comes mold around these parts. So the roof was removed and repaired, then placed back on in a better way and every screw hole was sealed with a roofing silicone. It is now waterproof. So, for those building a tiny house, you get to learn from our mistakes. All of our mistakes were monetarily based. We didn't buy enough roofing the first time. The second time, we bought an extra piece to add to our salvaged pile. So, here are my suggestions: 1) Make substantial overhangs on all four sides. 2) Make the ridges point in the best direction for water flow so that water doesn't sit on your roof. 3) Patch up any holes right away with roofing silicone. 4) Build in the summer. Seriously.
We also had water get into the floor, since right after we built the floor, there were daily downpours, broken only by periods of below freezing weather. Well, water can't get into the floor anymore, but we still had to contend with the fact that water had gotten in there. A lot of water. At the time, all we could do to keep the water out was build the walls and roof. But then we have walls and roof in the way, and it becomes difficult to fix the floor. We had two options: Open the floor, remove the insulation, dry it, and replace with foam board insulation to decreases chances of mold (we would dry the wet insulation and use it in the walls). Or we could leave the floor closed and hope for the best. Well, we sort of went with the latter option, but with an amendment. We left the floor closed, but put some well-screened vents in the floor from the underside of the trailer. When opening the floor from underneath for the vents, we could see that the floor appeared just as we left it- no mold, yet- except it was a bit damp. Overall, better than expected. So hopefully, the floor will air out, using the vents, and all will be well. It is these types of decisions that put your stomach in knots, hoping you made the right choice.
Other than those projects, the projects have been small details. Finishing the door locks. Since we built our own door jamb, that means we had to make our own holes for the locks. Making shingles and attaching shingles. This is an endless task. There are going to be So. Many. Shingles. But they are worth the effort. Recycled and free! And we are starting on the inside, but nothing much yet. I have a feeling that in the next two weeks, we will make a lot of progress.
|It's Trumpeter Swan season here!|
|Shapes in the ice|